Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Back from the RAC

I just came back from my first workout at the Redmond Athletic Club, or the RAC, (yay, I did it, I worked out!)
It's a pretty nice club, but I have one complaint, they need better lighting. They have overhead lights on really high ceilings and it makes the rooms feel cold, they should put up some wall sconces or floor lamps for ambiance. Even at the gym I'm a big stickler for ambiance! Other than lighting though the place was nice with flowers in the locker room, and lots of magazines to read, a huge climbing wall and a lot of workout machines. That last point is great because the last gym I went to had very few workout machines and you had to write your name on the white board for the machine you wanted to use and then wait your turn.

The RAC is located right next to Bella Bottega in Downtown Redmond, that area happens to be one I haven't checked out much yet, but there are lots of big buildings with retail space on the ground floor and I am just sure one of them is hiding the perfect tea and coffee shop to sit in, or perhaps the best unknown teriyaki in the neighborhood. I will have to go and have a look around when I have some free time.

I like downtown Redmond a lot, in general. It feels very cozy and small townish. There is still a downtown core area with some restaurants, shops and taverns. It feels like a bit of a frontier mountain town, like you would find in Montana (the western wear shop helps) and I like how there are train tracks running right through, it adds to the ambiance as it were.

My favorite place to go in downtown Redmond is Than Brothers Pho. I absolutely crave Pho all the time, and of all the Pho joints I've tried Than Brothers is the best (I know it's a chain, but it's a local, family run chain, so more power to them!). I think the Redmond location is the best of all the locations I've tried. For some reason the broth just tastes best to me there (I do like the location at Crossroads a lot too). I always order the veggie Pho, because I crave the fried chunks of tofu. Somehow, although it is fried, I can convince myself it's healthy because it's tofu. Anyhow, it's a really good and really affordable restaurant, so you should all go there! Oh, and they give you dreamy little bite sized cream puffs to eat when you're done...mmmm...cream puffs... I just had a really healthy dinner, and now I won't be able to get cream puffs off my mind all night, (sigh) oh well...

Ooh, I just remembered, I'm going to Than Brothers this weekend, oh boy! -Goodnight!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I laughed when I saw that lighting was the first thing you had to say about the gym! You and your lamps. :-) Alan and I just started Bob Greene's boot camp thing! Except not as rigorous; his actual program would take WAY too much time. I like doing workouts at home with a couple of dumbbells and an exercise ball, so I don't have to go anywhere, sometimes with yoga or pilates videos. I also like the "Buff Brides" book. And I've been reading great things about the Women's Health Wedding Workout DVD. Tying it into the wedding is motivating for me.